Sunday, August 12, 2007

Damn Windows USB

I was having issues with USB flash drives on my laptop. It has been going on for a while, and I had just written it off as crappy drives that weren't happy with my Thinkpad's USB ports. Ok, well, I was delusional. They all worked on my PC, so it was clear that there was something bigger going on.

It turns out there was. The INFCACHE.1 file in my c:\Windows\inf directory was corrupt. Deleting it and letting Windows start from scratch was the key. All better now.

Oh, the symptoms, so searches turn up something useful. Whenever I plugged in a new USB device it would (or at least 90% of the time would) fail to recognize it. Most often this happened for USB flash drives, but only because I wasn't plugging in other stuff that often. Probably the cause of this corruption was the bad RAM I had shortly after purchasing the laptop, but that is truly just a guest. In any event, never fear. Deleting (0r renaming for the weaker sort of Geek) the INFCACHE.1 file should not cause any harm, and will likely help this particular sort of problem.

No comments: